Financial Planning for Generation X & Y Women
Notice: Because of a database server upgrade, this site may be partially non-functional from August 21st to August 22nd. No data will be lost. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Under slight reconstruction until 5PM CST today... Please excuse the dust!
Resource Center
Expert Q&A Archive Teleconference Call Archive Online Resources Federal Reserve Board Resources FPA Perspectives
Error — no()

Expert Q&A Archive

What tax credit is available for Civil Service retirees?
I have recently heard about a tax credit for Civil Service retirees who are not covered by Social Security, and I was wondering if you could reference where one could find further information about that.
Editors Response:
The Government Retiree Credit is designed to provide a benefit equivalent to the economic recovery payment to those government retirees who did not qualify for these payments. Retired federal, state or local government employees who receive pensions in 2009, based on work not covered by Social Security, are eligible to claim this credit. The credit is $250. For joint filers the credit is $500 if both spouses are retired government employees who receive pensions based on work not covered by Social Security. The credit cannot be claimed by an individual if he or she received an economic recovery payment during 2009. See Schedule M, Form 1040A or 1040, and its instructions for details.