Wednesday, August 31st, 2005
Investing in Your Children
Date: Wednesday, August 31st, 2005
Time: 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM Eastern Time
- How can you give your children a strong financial foundation that will prepare them to become responsible consumers?
- What financial values should you instill in them and what techniques might you use to do so?
- How do you teach your kids to save, invest, and manage money?
- An important investment parents can make is in the post-secondary education of their children.
- Do you know how much college will cost by the time your kids pack their bags?
- How can you afford college expenses?
- Are you familiar with the different savings vehicles available to you?
- Learn about tools and tips that you can use to raise financially literate children and prepare for their college years.
Audio and Transcripts
About the speakers
Carrie Schwab Pomerantz is Chief Strategist, Consumer Education for Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. and is president of the Charles Schwab Foundation, which is focused on helping at-risk teens and young adults achieve financial success. With the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, she created and now manages a national financial literacy program for teens. Carrie and her father, Charles Schwab, co-authored It Pays to Talk: How to Have the Essential Conversations with Your Family about Money and Investing. She also has a personal finance column on schwab.com called Ask Carrie. In 2001, Working Woman magazine recognized Carrie as one of four “Market Movers” in America who are “rewriting the rules of finance.”
Jayne Pearl, author of Kids and Money: Giving Them the Savvy to Succeed Financially, has been a business writer for more than 20 years. She has worked as a reporter for Forbes magazine and as editor of a daily business radio show syndicated by American Public Radio. Jayne has also launched and run a newsletter for management guru Tom Peters and helped launch and edit Family Business magazine, for which she continues to write. She currently freelance writes and edits, offers seminars about kids and money, and works part time as Special Projects Editor for TALKERS magazine, the trade publication for the talk-show industry. Her website is www.kidsandmoney.com.
Theodore (Ted) J. Sarenski, a Certified Public Accountant/Personal Financial Specialist and Certified Financial Planner, is the founding member of DB&B Financial Services, LLC. He oversees all aspects of the division’s operations and works directly with clients. Ted also contributes to industry-related publications, including the CPA Journal, Practical Accountant, Accounting Today, and Kiplinger Personal Finance Report, and speaks to audiences across the country on financial topics. Ted is an active member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), including serving as an AICPA Personal Financial Planning Executive Committee member. Ted received his B.S. in Accounting in 1978 from SUNY Binghamton.